Sometime back, we experimented with a green tea sugar scrub. Which was quite daunting for me. Because I had never made a homemade beauty product and I was nervous about getting something wrong. But now, it’s been a couple of months and the scrub is all used up. And nothing went wrong. So, I’m feeling enthusiastic about trying another scrub. Though this time around, I wanted something milder and that’s why we went with these easy homemade chocolate sugar scrub cubes.
I wanted to work with a sugar scrub because salt based scrubs are usually harsher. Plus, with the current weather, I prefer a scrub that moisturises a little bit. Also, with my infinite experience (because making one scrub makes me a pro :P), I realised two things :
- Most oils have a very strong scent. So, you need to match the scent of the oil to the kind of scrub you make.
- Keeping a jar of scrub can be a little inconvenient, to use. Therefore, we’re going to be making cubes of scrub instead!
Time taken: 10 minutes
- 5 – 10 squares of chocolate (melt before starting)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) approx of coconut oil
- 1 cup of finely granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of shredded unscented soap
- Mold / Ice Cube Tray
- Mixing bowl (microwave safe)
- Cinnamon (optional, if you want a spicier scent)
- Mix the soap and oil and microwave it for 10 seconds. Keep mixing it and placing it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Do this till the soap has melted and mixed with the oil.
- Add the chocolate and sugar and mix well.
- Place the mixture in the tray.
- Tap the tray a few times to let the mixture settle and the air bubbles escape.
- Place the tray in the freezer for the scrub to set.
- Once frozen, pop the cubes out of tray and store in a container.
- Take out and use as you need!
Things to keep in mind:
- Don’t use very grainy sugar. You can scratch yourself with it.
- The 10 second intervals between mixing the soap and oil are important. Otherwise, the soap can start frothing.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon or any other spice to enhance the scent of the chocolate sugar scrub.
- Don’t use scented soap. Even a mildly scented one. It will easily overpower the scent of the chocolate.
What do you think of our chocolate sugar scrub cubes? Let me know in the comments below or through any of the media links mentioned. And, if you make this DIY, don’t forget to tag us in your photos! We would love to see how they turned out for you!