This was one of those projects that really made me love my job. Because it gave me the time to make something sweet to share with you, while making something sweet for my grandparents. And, that feels really great! It was their anniversary recently and we planned a small party for our friends and family, to celebrate the occasion. Since, it was kind of a last minute plan, we din’t have time to plan anything elaborate. So, we decided on a simple Spring theme of Yellow, Pink and White flowers. Which was incorporated into the decorations for the evening. Including, a DIY cake stand and a matching cake topper.
I do want to talk about the theme as a whole. But, I haven’t gotten around to photographing the crockery we used. It’s a stunning pink and white floral porcelain set, my grandmother hand painted for us. And, I really want to show it to you. So, that post will be coming up shortly!
For now, let’s talk about the DIY cake stand and topper.
Time taken: 20 minutes
- Flower shape punch (Big)
- Flower shape punch (small)
- Pink and Yellow paper
- White paper
- Long skewers
- Glue drops / glue
- Double sided tape
- Black marker
- Cake platter & server
Step 1: Make the flower bunches
- Start by using the big punch on the pink, yellow and white paper. Punch out double the amount of white cutouts, as compared to the pink and yellow.
- Next, paste each pink and yellow cutout over a white cutout, in a way that part of the white cutout is seen.
- Use the small punch to make tiny flowers and paste them over the pink or yellow cutout.
- Paste 1 embellishment over the cutouts, to complete the flower.
- Paste 3 cutouts of the same colors at slight angles, to form a bunch.
The number of bunches needed can vary depending on the size of the platter and cake. So, you may end up making more of these. You will also need to make 2 singular flowers for the ends of the topper.
Step 2: Assemble the flowers
- Once all the flowers are ready, paste the 2 singular flowers on the blunt end of the skewers.
- Keeping in mind the width of the cake, draw a small arc over a surface and place 4 bunches of flowers over it.
- While making sure, the flowers overlap slightly, paste them together to form a wide arc.
- Paste the two floral skewers from above, on either ends of the arc.
- Test to make sure the arc is retaining its shape and isn’t falling down, if you hold it up.
Step 3: Adding a banner
This step is totally optional and the topper will look great without it, as well. But, I feel like this gives it a more personalised touch and makes the topper sturdier.
- Take a printout of the sentence you want to write on thick white paper. I used the font Sign Painter (available for free online) and adjusted the size of the text to the width between the skewers.
- Now, if you like, you can trace the text and use a handwritten banner. Or, you can use the printout directly. I opted to write it out with a thick black marker, because I felt like practicing my typography skills!
- Cut the excess white paper, so that the banner is about 1.5 cms wide and place it just below the flowers on the topper.
- Flip the topper and paste the ends of the banner to the skewers
And, the banner is all ready
Step 4: Putting it all together
For the cake stand, we placed the cake in the middle of a platter. And then made several flower bunches for the rim of our cake platter. I feel a platter, highlights the look of the flowers because it feels like a flower ring around the cake. Alternately, you can choose a higher cake stand and string the flowers, as a mini bunting around the rim as well.
We used small pieces of double sided tape (much easier to peel off) to paste the flowers onto the plate. With each of the flowers pointing outwards.
For the final touches,
- Paste 2 bunches of flowers over the cake server and knife.
- Gently place the topper in the middle of the cake.
It’s simple. But, pretty right? Specially for this time of the year. Let me know your thoughts on our DIY Cake Stand and Topper, in the comments below. And, if you make this bunting, please share it with us. We love seeing handmade creations!