Sometimes I like to make things just as a pick me up. Specially on manic days where a bajillion things are going on. It helps to take out 10 minutes and to make something simple. It not only gives you a mini break, but also kickstarts your imagination. And that’s exactly how these personalized photo magnets came about. On an action packed Monday, we took out 10 minutes to make these cute little personalized photo magnets and it did the trick! The rest of the day went by smooth sailing. Which is saying something for a Monday. So, I’m hoping handmade hacks like these help your day get better too! Here’s how you can make Personalized Photo Magnets at home!
Time: 10 minutes
- Building Blocks (we had some left over from this candle making session)
- Small Magnet / Magnetic Strip
- Photo Paper
- Thin Black Marker
1. Start by drawing and colouring in a design on the outside of your building blocks. I went with tiny flowers for these. However, you can do whatever you would like. I would recommend keeping the design simple, so it doesn’t overpower the photos that are placed on the back. Give it a few minutes to dry.
2. Next, measure the size of the shape on the blocks. Mine were squares measuring 3.5 cm by 3.5 cm.
3. Once you have the sizes, select three photos that you would like to use. I used three of my sister and I, at different ages. To make them look similar, you can open the photos in Picassa (or any software you like) and edit the colour to black and white.
4. After changing the colour, scale the photos down to the size of the block. As mine were 3.5 by 3.5 cms, the photos were minimised quite a bit.
5. Print and cut the photos leaving a slight margin on all sides.
6. Use regular paste or a glue gun to paste your magnet on the upper half of your blocks.
7. Draw a thin line of glue on the back of the blocks. It would need to go right on the edge of the inner square.
8. Carefully paste the photo over the glue. While making sure, the photo is in the right direction!
Repeat the steps for as many as you would like and you’ve got a cute set of personalized photo magnets!
This was quite an easy DIY and I’m looking forward to trying it with my cousins this summer. What do you think, would Personalized Photo Magnets help you get a breather and is it something kids would enjoy? Leave a comment down below and let me know! Have a great week ahead