Don’t know what to do with the tens of hundreds of jars, we collect? We started a series of ideas, which will help containers be useful and great to look at! And this one is all about converting jam jars into storage jars.
If you’re interested here’s a link for the first one (that one was all about cookie boxes)
We had half a dozen old jars So, we cleaned and spruced them up. Making them useful once more. Here’s what we did,
Time taken: about 30 minutes
- Empty clear glass jars
- Embellishments (optional)
- Plan your design for the jar and make sure the jar is completely clean.
- Measure and cut the twine to be stuck on the jar.
- Starting at the bottom, move upwards while sticking the twine. If the twine is held firmly, you won’t need to put glue on the whole length of twine. You would need it only for the ends.
4. Add a few embellishments and it’s done! We experimented with a few different designs.
What did we use it for? Storing small quantities of dry fruits. Like many Indian families, we always have dried fruits – almonds, cashews (kaju), raisins etc at home. And since the glass is clear for these jars, we can clearly see the contents. Making them easy to to consume on the go!
Things to be kept in mind:
- Work with as little glue as possible. If the glue mixes with the twine and smudges on the glass, its very annoying to clean.
- Work with different type of embellishments or colors that work well together. We chose reds and oranges and basically warm colors which go well with the twine. At the same time, we tried to make sure the twine was the highlight, not the color. This is kinda needed to give the somewhat rustic look.
- If you have made this in the past, share it with us! We would love to see it!
If you have any questions or suggestions, do let us know!