Almost everyone I know, has an opinion on Mehendi. Some love it. And, some hate it. But, there’s hardly anyone who wouldn’t call the art, beautiful! We definitely think it’s stunning and a great way to give a traditional touch to Diwali gifts. How exactly would we do this? One way, is to use traditional designs to make multi-purpose Diwali trays. Here’s how to make them!
Time taken: 4 – 5 hours for two mats
Steps for Diwali Trays:
- Paint the top of the mats and let them dry. We wanted to invert the normal colour of Mehendi, so we went with a dark Maroon colour.
- Select a large Mehendi design and print it out or draw it freehand on a sheet of paper. Then, rub a pencil over the back of the pattern.
- Once the mats are dry, place the drawings over them and lightly trace the design on top of it. You don’t want to make it too dark. As the pencil lines can’t be rubbed off easily.
- Draw thin lines over the tracing made, with a gold pen. Cover the entire design.
- Focusing on the edges and the centre of the mat, draw thick lines over the shapes.
- Fill in selective spaces with basic lines or blocks of colour.
- Let the paint dry, before flipping the mats and painting the backs and the rims, gold.
- After covering your mouth with a cloth, spray a light layer of varnish over both sides.
Things to remember:
- Not going to lie, this takes time and precision to complete. So, I would recommend choosing a design with bold shapes.
- Gold pen smudges all the time. Which can be frustrating, so go slow.
- If you’re going to fill in certain portions of the mat, do it last. It helps cover up any mistakes, without detracting from the design.
- Always cover your mouth & nose, while spraying varnish.
What I like about this idea, it’s a festive but useful Diwali gift. It can be used as decoration, as hot plates, as table mats, as centrepieces. And it doesn’t need a lot of decoration with it, as the tray is ornate on it’s own.
Or, if you think it’s tough to make. You can order it instead, by contacting us here.
How is your Diwali preparation going? Share your thoughts on this idea or any others you like, by sharing the link in the comments below or any of our social media. Have a great day!