It’s that time of the year. Exam Time. Just the thought is making me cringe, as if someone dragged their nails down a blackboard. Not to mention, it’s impossible for me to concentrate after avoiding my books for a year. So, I’ve come up with a plan. And, the first step is to declutter everything non study related with this DIY on desk organization. I wanted to make something easy and quick (because it would be just like me, to spend 2 days making a table, instead of studying) that could hold all my notes and stationery. Here’s how it turned out.
Time taken: about 45 minutes
- 2 blank boards
- 12 – 14 Popsicle Sticks
- Glue Gun
- 2 identical boxes / paint bottles
Prep work: If you don’t have coloured popsicle sticks, you can make them and leave them to dry a day before, you intend to make the stand. Also, if you like to decorate further, you can paste coloured sheets/ paint etc on the boards to make them look more attractive.
- Take 2 identical boards and make markings at every 5 cms on 3 sides. I took boards which were slightly bigger than an A4 sized paper, to make sure all my notes fit on it.
- Hold a popsicle stick against the boards to mark out where the glue will be applied on the sticks and what will be the height between the two levels. Make the same markings on all the sticks.
- Using a scale, place 4 sticks at a distance of 5 cm each.
- Apply hot glue to the bottom tip of the sticks and paste the board on top. The markings on the board should match the sticks. Hold for a minute.
- Similarly, paste sticks on the adjacent side of the board.
6. Place 2 bottles over the base. These were at the same height as the markings on the sticks.
7. Apply hot glue over the markings on the already attached sticks.
8. Quickly paste the board to the glue and let it rest over the bottles for a few minutes.
9. For the remaining side, hold the organizer over the edge of table. Then, apply glue to the bottom and marking on the remaining sticks and paste them one by one over the markings.
10. To give extra support, paste 2 sticks over the edges / curves.
11. Pull / cut off the extra bits of glue dangling from the sticks.
And that’s it 🙂 You can choose to decorate it further, obviously. I ran out of my break time and for once, made the sensible decision to get back to studying after this desk organizer DIY.
Things to keep in mind:
- After applying the glue, you need to move quickly.
- This DIY is all about precision. The straighter the lines, the better it will look.
- You want to make sure atleast 3 cm of the popsicle sticks is sticking out above the top level. This is to make sure, the papers don’t fall off.
- If you’re repasting any of the sticks, make sure to take off the first layer of glue. It should peel off easily.
Let me know if you need any help with making this Desk Organizer DIY, by letting me know your thoughts in the comments below. Also, what do you do to make studying easier? I could use all the help, I can get!