Every once in a while, we get an order which makes us say – “That is such a great idea! I want it too”. That’s definitely what happened when we got the request to make these Ed Sheeran DIY pillow covers. Both my sister and I love his music (I’m pretty sure we know every single song of his by heart) So, we just had to make a set for us too! Here’s how you can make them, as well!
For those of you who aren’t as familiar with his work, the DIY pillow covers that we are making are the covers of his three albums – +, x, ÷. The customer had the simple (and brilliant!) idea of taking plain coloured pillow covers and painting the mathematical symbols over each of them. What I like about the design is, you can show your love for Ed’s work, without actually making it in your face. The cushions can be placed in any room to add a pop of colour. And who knows, maybe there will be a fourth album for the fourth symbol, -.
Time taken: 1 hour
- 1 blue, 1 green and 1 orange cushion
- Thick flat paintbrush
- Black and white fabric paint
Steps for DIY pillow covers:
1. Start by measuring the length and width of the pillow cover.
2. As per the measurement, cut a small rectangle of cardboard and place it inside the pillow. This protects the back of the pillow from paint and gives you a smooth surface to paint on.
3. Next, draw the symbols on each pillow cover. You don’t have to be absolutely precise. However, try to keep the symbol on each pillow about the same size. You want to cover about 60% of the cover with the symbol. You will need the + sign on orange, X on green and ÷ on blue. Avoid making the lines too dark.
5. Once the outline is complete, without using any water, colour in the outlines for the pillows. Paint within the edges in long rough brushstrokes to get as close a replica of the symbols on the covers. For this set, you will be painting white on the orange cover and black on the green and blue covers. Let the paint dry for a few hours and paint a second coat if needed.
6. After the cover have dried, take out the cardboard and wash them.
7. Pop in the pillows and you’re done!
How do you like these Ed Sheeran DIY Pillow Covers and who would you like to make them for? Let us know in the comments below 🙂