Tell me if you disagree, but I think Lilo and Stitch is such an underrated movie. It’s funny and sweet and leaves you with warm fuzzy feelings 🙂 One of the quotes that left an impression on me was “Ohana means family, that means no one gets left behind or forgotten.” Awww its just so perfect! So when I was making a welcome mat for our home, I definitely wanted the word Ohana on it. And now that it’s done, I smile every time I’m going somewhere. Similarly, I’m sure you have words or phrases that mean something to you, so we’re going to show you how to make a personalised welcome mat for it!
- 1 welcome mat (anything except fabric works for this tutorial)
- Acrylic Paints
- A3 size sheets / Tracing paper
- Dark Pencil
- Exacto Knife
- Regular Tape / Glue Drops
- Thin Flat Brush
- Black marker
1.Decide how big or small you want your phrase to be. It could be across the mat like the one we made, or in a corner, from edge to edge etc. Similarly, decide the font of what you’re writing. Typically, cursive is tougher to do than straight lines. So if you’re a beginner, I would suggest a simple font.
2. Place your a3 sized sheet or tracing paper on the mat. This will give you and idea of the dimensions for the words. If the sheet is too small, you can tape up 2 or more sheets and place over the mat. Alternately, if it’s too big, you can mark out how much you need. For us, one a3 sheet placed right in the middle of the mat, was enough.
3. Next, write out the quote on the paper. If you’re uncomfortable with free handing it, you can write in on your laptop and take a print out.
4. Carefully cut out the letters with an exacto knife. This is where, the simpler the font, the better.
5. Place the paper on the mat and paste it to the mat with tape or glue drops.
6. Outline within the cutouts with the marker and remove the paper.
7. Paint within the outline with the acrylic paints of your choice. I like to mix a little bit of water in the paint and do a dab dab motion, to make sure the paint is not patchy.
And that’s it! That’s how you can make a DIY personalised welcome mat. What word or phrase would you put on a personalised door mat? Let us know in the comments below!