One of the best parts about living in Mumbai, is the beach. We lived near Juhu beach for 7 years and I can’t count the number of times we went for long walks, spent hours sitting on the sand & collected shells. So, when we moved, I carried a wealth of such memories with me. And my small collection of shells, of course! Which I used for this DIY project.
For today’s idea, we are going to work on old hair combs. The idea is to give them a somewhat crusty sea look by adding shells, pearls & stones. I’ve decided to use small cut ribbed ark shells (This great site tells me, that’s what they are called).
Time: 10-15 minutes
Budget: Low – Medium
- 6-7 Cut Ribbed Ark Shells
- Hair Combs
- Glitter (Blue, Dark Blue & Green)
- Fake pearls (small & tiny sizes)
- Stones (Light Green, Dark Blue, Light Blue)
1. The first step, is to smear one layer of glue over the top of the comb. Cover the sides with glue. An easy trick is to use a toothpick to spread the glue. This way it gets applied evenly.
2. Next, sprinkle glitter over the glue area only. We mixed up 3 colours in different patches, so that the base gets a finished look. But resembles sea colours at the same time. The aim is to cover the base entirely, without any gaps of the base showing in between. Dust off the excess glitter, once you’re done.
3. Once there is a layer of glitter on the comb, spray a layer of varnish over the top. Varnish is used to hold the glitter in place. So that, it doesn’t come off when the comb is worn. But, it’s smell can make you feel nauseous (trust me, I’ve been there many times). So, please cover your mouth & nose with a cloth and use it in an open space.
After spraying, place your shells on the comb. Placement always helps, and I can’t talk enough about how much it affects the overall look. You can go for a very neat design, with everything lined up. It will look great! However, as we’re going for a rough look here, we placed them at slight angles.
4. Lastly, we stick the embellishments onto the comb. First, we paste the shells as they are the highlight of the combs. After which, we stick the pearls & stones. There isn’t a specific order to this. I would actually recommend picking them at random & placing them imperfectly. See how ours go over the edges a little?
And that’s it- Shell Hair Combs! Very easy to make & pretty to wear. You can choose to spray another layer of varnish on top. But, I tried my comb once it dried & it doesn’t seem necessary. Let me know, if I’m wrong!
Things to keep in mind:
- Using varnish = mouth covered + open spaces
- Toothpicks are superb, when working with embellishments. Just dip the tip in glue & picking up stones becomes easy.
- There’s no such thing as a perfect design! Use different colours & sizes for the stones and the pearls. The end result will look nice.
- Wipe off any excess glitter before varnishing
If you like pearls, you should also check out the 30th anniversary gift we made, using these pearls. Here’s the link.
How do you like our shell hair combs? If you try them out, you should let us know! We would love to share your creation.